Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tool #3: Finding Online Video and Image Resources

1. I have used youtube, discovery education, and some other online video sites for years. So I decided to look at Blinkx. I think it would be really useful when trying to do some current events stuff in World Geography. I wish there was an easier way to search for regions as we don't necessarily talk about global news, per se, but more, global news as it pertains to the region we are covering. 


2. I, also, looked at teachertube, kidstube, and schooltube. I find all these sites useful. I think it would be hard to keep track of cataloging the videos unless I did a good job of chronicling the ones I find useful onto my SAN somehow. In my teachertube research, I did find some good reviews for map exams, like this one about the 50 states and their capitals. 50 States and Capitals Song . I also found a helpful tutorial that I could put on my website (or blog) for my students who need help using Google Earth . I definitely could also use this to give notes over regions, create my own notes, or have students do something similar for a project. We could even 'voice-over' a region as we 'flew over a specific region/country/city/landmark on Google Earth. I think the kids would love it. 


3. I think that some of the laws that follow copyright infringement and fair use are a bit difficult to follow, but if I am using images or information for education purposes only, I guess it is acceptable.  I get confused when I go to the creative commons area as to what images I can use and how to copy them. I did LOVE that it shows you on a map where the photo was taken (so useful in Geo). I hope the more I work with Flickr, the better I will get at it.

4.I had a Dropbox account from our professional development with Terri. So, I just logged into it and created a new folder entitled World Geography notes. It is an easy way to upload all of our classroom notes (powerpoint/ACTIVboard) and let the students access them from home.  I went ahead and added our most recent notes over Hinduism (hence the picture of the Holi Festival above)

No comments:

Post a Comment